Historic Design Standards

The detailed guidelines for performing work on your historic property.

Considering an update to your historic home?

There may be some changes that require an application for a Certificate of Appropriateness to be reviewed by the City of Burlington's Historic Preservation Commission (not Preservation Burlington). 

Such changes could include alterations, restoration, construction, reconstruction, relocation, or demolition of buildings, other structures, site work, landscaping, and the installation of awnings or outdoor signs.

What is the first step?

First, we suggest downloading the Historic District Design Standards.

This document includes an abundance of information including how to determine if you need to apply for a Certificate of Appropriateness and how to apply for the certificate based on your specific request(s).

Who is the
Historic Preservation Commission?

The Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) of Burlington, NC is not Preservation Burlington. The HPC is a Burlington City Commission. This commission governs all changes to the exterior of homes located in the West Davis-Fountain Place District and Glencoe Mills Village District. This includes landscaping, changes to windows, any exterior structural changes, improvements or additions. We recommend you contact the City Planning Department (336-222-5110) before removing trees or starting any exterior renovation projects.

For the Historic Homeowners