top of page

City of Burlington, NC's

Local Historic District 
Design Standards

Detailed guidelines for performing work on properties within the locally designated West Davis-West Front-Fountain Place & Glencoe Mill Village Historic Districts.

Considering an update to your historic home?

If you own property in the West Davis-West Front-Fountain Place Historic District or the Glencoe Mill Village Historic District, you may need to apply for a Certificate of Appropriateness with the City of Burlington's Historic Preservation Commission (not Preservation Burlington) prior to beginning work

Such changes could include alterations, restoration, construction, reconstruction, relocation, or demolition of buildings, other structures, site work, landscaping, and the installation of awnings or outdoor signs.

What is the first step?

We suggest downloading the City of Burlington's Local Historic District Design Standards.

This document includes an abundance of information including how to determine if you need to apply for a Certificate of Appropriateness and how to apply for the certificate based on your specific request(s).

What is the Burlington
Historic Preservation Commission?

The Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) of Burlington, NC is not Preservation Burlington. The HPC is a Burlington City Commission. This commission governs all changes to the exterior of homes located in the locally designated West Davis-West Front-Fountain Place District and Glencoe Mill Village District. This includes landscaping, changes to windows, any exterior structural changes, improvements or additions. We recommend you contact the City Planning Department (336-222-5110) before removing trees or starting any exterior renovation projects.

bottom of page